8.13.2009

autumn reflections

I sit here thinking the upcoming fall season, and I am so beautifully reminded that so many of the most amazing events in my life happened in the midst of the autumn breezes.

New year. Back-to-school time was always so exciting for me. I was never as nervous as my classmates, and new school supplies (including clothes) were the highlight of the year. From elementary to college, a fresh start on a new year was crisp, clean and I could see the future with more clarity than ever. The promise of that year being better than the last, new friends, new teachers, new classes...

New love. My husband and I met and fell in love in the fall. We dated for just 3 short months before becoming engaged, and were married the fall of the following year. My own wedding was much more than I ever dreamed, and although I had always dreamed of a beach wedding, it was a fairytale experience.

New life. My daughter was born in the sweet November of 2006. She stole my breath and my heart, and is the center of my joy.

Change is the theme of the fall. I have never been one to shy away from change, even though I find it harder to accept as I age.

The song "Every Season" by Nichole Nordeman sums up my thoughts on fall...

And even when the trees have just surrendered
To the harvest time
Forfeiting their leaves in late September
And sending us inside
Still I notice You when change begins
And I am braced for colder winds
I will offer thanks for what has been and was to come
You are autumn

God bless you all as summer comes to a close. Today you may be taking your child to their first day of kindergarten, or college to move them in and find yourself in a whirlwind of bittersweet emotions. I know so many people experiencing changes, including myself, that have left them reflecting and looking back on memories that have led them to this point. They are looking at old scrapbooks and being reminded of the bridal runner that never got rolled out, or the tiny raisin-like face that popped into the world at 7:29pm. Photos are such an important part of living, and I am thankful to have a passion that has a deep purpose.

Here's to the fall weddings, engagements, births, events and the budding and growing of all changes in life. I am so fortunate to be able to be there to help creatively catch the moments in life that people most cherish in any season.

No comments: